Thursday 7 March 2013

Textured Montage

Today I experimented with textured montages. I took some portraits and then went out took some pictures of various textures that I could find.
 
I took a portrait of K in the studio and then used photoshop to layer the textures onto the image, making sure all of the images that I was putting together were the same resolution.

I started with this image of K...



 
I started with this texture of some wood.

 
I dragged the texture onto the picture of K whilst holding the shift key so that it lined up the 2 images correctly. Then I put the blending opacity to about 55%. Then I created a layer mask and uncovered K's face of the texture, using and opacity of 100%.

 
Next, I used this texture of graffiti on a wall.


 
I did the same with this layer, making sure his face was clear of the texture. However, when going over his hat and coat, I used a lower opacity so that some of the texture was showing. I played around with the blending modes to see what looked best.

 
With this texture of a grid cover, I used the gradient tool so that it was only showing on one part of the image. I created a layer mask then clicked on the gradient tool and chose the black to white option. Then I dragged the cursor from one side of the image to the other which made the grid show on only one side. I set the opacity to about 50% again and then created another layer mask on this layer to uncover his face of the grid texture.
 
 
 
 
This is the end result. As you can see, I added another little image of K in the bottom corner.






I did the same again with an image of Besma and some different textures.


 
 



 
 
 Ii changed it all to black and white as I thought it looked better.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Holly - are you going to coe up with a plan that will make these fit Dave's brief. These show how skilful your are in Photoshop, as well as how imaginative you are. Well done.

    ReplyDelete