Monday 27 May 2013

Fashion photographers

Norman Parkinson 1913-1990

Parkinson was a fashion photographer from London. His work has been described as "timeless" and always remains in style. He began his career in 1931 and defined the look of Vogue in the mid 20th century. He became the portrait and fashion photographer for Vogue in 1945 and revolutionised British fashion by taking models from the studio into more interesting outdoor locations.



 
I really like his use of composition and how we framed the subject. His work has a classic style. The style of my images will be completely different.
 
 
 
 

Corinne Day 1962-2010

Day started as a model. Then she met her husband who taught her how to use a camera and her career began in Milan where she approached magazines for work. She has worked for Vogue and various other magazines, photographing stars such as Kate Moss. Her work caught my eye because a lot of it is very natural with relaxed poses and expressions. This is the sort of thing that I would like to achieve in my images, however, my images will be in colour.




 
I came across these 2 images of Day's (below) that fit quite well with what I want to try and do. This is similar to the sort of style I want to achieve.

 
You can tell by looking at Day's models' natural expressions, that she had a good rapport with them and they felt comfortable with her. I will need to make sure I have a good rapport with my model to get natural expressions.



Louise Dahl-Wolfe 1895-1989

She was known for her environmental fashion photography and her use of natural lighting outdoors. Another photographer who worked for magazines such as Harper's Bazaar and Vogue in the 40s and 50s.

I have chosen to look at her work because my shoot will fit under the category of environmental fashion photography as I am going to be using natural light only in a rural location.





Mario Testino

Testino is one of the world's best known fashion photographers. He has photographed many A-list celebs and models such as Madonna and Kate Moss and was chosen by Diana Princess of Wales to photograph her for Vanity Fair. His images are highly polished and bright and are featured in Vogue.




 
I really like Testino's use of the lighting. He seems to shoot into the light giving a highlight around the hair. This is what I will try to achieve.


Bela Borsodi

Borsodi is an Austrian artist and photographer based in New York. He has worked for the likes of Vogue, Wallpaper and Another Magazine, and fashion brands Baume & Mercer Watches, Hermes and Selfridges. His work is very interesting as it brings fashion and accessories to life in a surreal way. It is very different to anything I have seen before and is cleverly done.
Borsodi says of his work “I love making things and putting things in an unusual context incorporating various visual languages coming from art and graphic design. Eroticism is also a fascination of me that I love exploring".[

 
 





I really like Borsodi's work because it is unusual and creative. It is different to how I would choose to advertise clothing and accessories but this is quite arty and also quite humorous which I like.


Rankin

Rankin is a British fashion and portrait photographer and is the founder of Dazed & Confused magazine. He has photographed many A- list celebs such as Britney Spears, Kate Moss, Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Spice Girls, David Bowie, Bjork, Cheryl Cole, The Rolling Stones and even Queen Elizabeth.

 

 





 
All of Rankin's work seems to have been taken in a studio with studio lighting which I am familiar with, but for my shoot I will be on Location, using just natural, available light. I like his work. Everything is lit perfectly. Most of his work is black and white. All of my images for my shoot will be in colour. 
 

 


1 comment: