Monday 29 October 2012

Brief 1 - Photographers - Jorma Puranen

Jorma Puranen is a Finnish photographer. His most well known projects include 'Shadows, Reflections and All That Sort of Thing' and 'Icy Prospects'. I have had a look at images from both these projects and I am very much drawn to the latter.

His inspiration behind Icy Prospects came from reading histories of Polar expeditions and watching tourists in North Norway.

He said; 'For fifteen years I have been engaged in landscape projects in which I have prevented direct admiration of the landscape by putting something in between the viewer and the subject: transparent portraits, phrases in Latin, flags. They have served as obstacles of a kind, denying any admiration of Arctic landscapes as such. In Icy Prospects, the possibility of direct viewing is completely denied. What we see now is a mere reflection of the landscape/seascape'.


 To create the images for Icy Prospects, Puranen painted a wooden board with black, high-gloss acrylic and then took long exposures of the landscapes mirrored in its surface. The results are extremely painterly. I absolutely love them! I love how the brush strokes of the black paint and the reflections of the landscapes merge together creating a very painterly impression of nature.






I love these images of his below aswell.... I'm not sure what he has used but it looks like some sort of semi transparent material that the shadows of flowers and leaves have cast onto with the sunlight.






Looking at Puranen's work gives me so much inspiration. I really like how photographs of reflections can look like paintings and have that surreal, dream-like effect. I used to paint so can really appreciate these images. I find them so interesting. I think for my project, I will aim to create images that almost look like abstract paintings. I might experiment with using material between the camera and the subject to create these kind of effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment