Sunday 25 November 2012

Studio Photography - High Key & Low Key lighting





Low key

Low key lighting is on a black background and uses only one main light . It accentuates the contours of a surface so it is often used when photographing men as it is quite flattering for a man to look quite 'rugged'. Here is an example i shot of Andy. I used one main light (a reflector) at one side of him, with 2 black boards in front of the light leaving a small gap in between them to let the small stream of light through. Its quite a moody and masculine light.
 
 


 
I will use this image as part of my submission because I like how just one side of his face is lit and the other side shows the texture and expression in this face due to the shadows created. I do really like the expression on his face. Andy isn't usually very comfortable at all in front of the camera and usually does a silly face to try and cover up his embarrassment, but I think I captured a very natural expression here which shows the real Andy. 




High Key

Hight key lighting is a lot more fun and lively and usually would require a 3 light setup, a white background and possibly a reflector to illuminate any shadows. This is very flattering lighting for women......but I used Andy again for this example. I also bumped up the contrast for this image.

 






Film Noir

Film noir is a  term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas.  It uses low key lighting with shadows to build narrative. 




 
For this image, I used the same lighting as the low key lighting, but this time, added a light with a honeycomb at the back pointing towards the black sheet at the back. A hammer was held infront of the light to create the shadow.







No comments:

Post a Comment