Thursday 29 November 2012

Evaluating Exterior Location Brief


 I have completed my 10 images for the exterior brief. My subject is water and reflections. You might notice that I have a mixture of black and white and colour images. I chose not to do them all in colour, simply because some worked better in black and white. I aimed for my images to provoke certain moods and the colours really help with this. Most of the images I intended to look quite abstract like some of the photographers work I have looked at. I am really interested in making photographs look painterly and distorted. Some of the images will be displayed upside down so that the reflections are the right way up. Throughout the series, i have concentrated on both cold and warm colours. I think they have a calming and serene feel to them. During this project, one of the photographers I was inspired by was Juma Puranen. I was really interested in his technique so I experimented with using transparent materials inbetween the camera and the subject. I only chose 2 images from doing this to use in my final 10 images. 

This is a rotated image of a reflection. I think its quite abstract. I like the green colours and the lines.

The colours and tones in this image remind me of Rinko Kawauchi's work. Also the shallow depth of field reminds me of her work. I decided to focus on the greeny yellow leaves in the foreground rather than the reflections in the water in the background. 



This is an image (above) inspired by Jorma Puranen as I mentioned earlier. I used a piece of glass (after spraying with water) infront of my lens. Puranen likes to prevent direct admiration of landscapes by putting something in between the viewer and the subject.  I chose black and white for this image because i thought it worked a lot better and gives it a sombre mood.


This is another image that I have decided to display upside down. I like the sun shining through the trees in the reflection and i like how there is a mixture of actual twigs and branches in the foreground and refections of them in the background.

Again, a rotated image so that the reflection of the tree is the right way up. This is how it would be displayed. 

This is another Jorma Puranen inspired image, using the wet glass infront of the lens. I kept this one in colour because the different tones on the leaves combined with the water on the glass gives a nice painterly effect.









This is the image that i should have printed off but ended up printing the wrong one which is a similar image. I got confused with the file numbers so in future, i will give the files different names! 





This is the one i printed. The reflections in this one aren't as clear and aren't as prominent as they are in the other image. 



No comments:

Post a Comment